Graphic design is an oft-misunderstood art. One graphic image can mean the difference between thousands of dollars of income and hundreds of thousands of dollars. It can mean the difference between a run-of-the-mill service within your niche or one that stands out from the crowd. The value that is derived from one logo image is much more than you can ever place on the price of the graphic artist creating the image. Don’t underestimate the value of a graphic image.
What makes the image so valuable? Is it the reputation of the artist? Is it the design itself? What factors determine long term value?
That’s a difficult question to answer, but I do believe that it can be answered. In short, the value of a graphic design is determined by how many uses and how often you can employ that graphic design and profit from it. Let’s examine how graphic images can be used over and over again to build a profit for your enterprise.
- Your logo can be used in print on your letterhead and stationery, brochures, flyers and other marketing collateral as well as on your website and other digital marketing collateral;
- A website header can be used for your website, blog, forum and any other digital property you own for branding purposes;
- You can also turn a logo or graphic image into a favicon that can be used for Web branding in a very simple way;
- Your logo can be used as an avatar on your social media profiles;
- Any graphic image can be used repeatedly for a variety of purposes online and in print (for example, a customized bullet point can be used multiple times on your website and other online properties);
- A graphic image you use in print can also be transferred for use to your online marketing efforts and vice-versa;
- Designs for business cards can also be used for postcards and other print materials as well as online equivalents like e-mail signatures.
If you have a graphic image created for a specific use, try to think of other ways that graphic can be used over and over again for your marketing purposes. If a graphic image only has one use then it is limited in terms of its profit value, but a graphic image that can be used again and again increases in value for each use. That’s the wonderful power of a graphic image and you should be thinking that way.