You can’t go a whole day these days without hearing someone harp about the benefits of social media. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, this new site, that new site, it just doesn’t end. Is social media really all it’s cracked up to be?
First, let me say I won’t knock any marketing method that you find works for you. But there are some dangers to using, or overusing, social media. When deciding whether or not to adopt a particular strategy for your online marketing campaigns you should first examine all the pros and cons and make an informed decision.
That said, there are some pros to using social media:
- You can build a direct relationship with your audience before they ever get to your site.
- Your name brand can be seen in more places, which is always a benefit.
- It’s great for driving traffic back to your website or blog, especially if you find the right people at the right social media site.
Now, how about a few cons:
- It can really be a time suck.
- A worthy social media campaign can cost a lot in time and/or money.
- If you are too blatant in your marketing then you could actually develop a bad reputation as a spammer.
There are more benefits and drawbacks to social media than these. I’m just trying to give you something to think about. If you do decide to use social media for your marketing, don’t use it as a replacement for SEO and PPC. Use it alongside them.